Friday, January 9, 2009

Computer Recording Interface for $3.24…

So I have been pondering getting a computer recording setup. Maybe firewire for my Mac… I was prepared to burn a couple hundred dollars, but I had a stroke of brilliance last night on my way home from work last night…

I went over to Radio Shack and purchased one of these: 1/4" Mono Jack to 1/8" Mono Plug Adapter

So the moment of truth was when I got home, and plugged my bass directly into the 1/8” microphone jack on the back of my laptop. Mind you, my basses are all passive with no electronics… I turned up the sound, launched Garageband, and voila’. Sound!!! The sound wasn’t half bad, and there was no latency that I noticed, and I was able to use all of the effects that Garageband has… Pretty cool. The only noticeable problem is that if I am playing too close to my computer, I can hear an electrical hum in my headphones, but that’s about it… This weekend, I’ll try adding my boost pedal into the mix to get a stronger signal, but I’m overall happy with my discovery and decision… Now I can start recording stuff on my own time just for kicks…

Now, my next question is does anybody read this silly blog???

1 comment:

K5KHK said...

Yes, I am reading your blog. Came here via TheFreshLoaf.com. You can't beat $3.24. I am using a Line6 GearBox for my guitar. It's a bit more expensive, but with the GarageBand plug-in also a bit more versatile than just a plug :)

So, you have at least one reader, maybe it's time for another blog post? :)