Monday, October 13, 2008

Pickups…

So my main 6 string bass built by Matt Schmill of FBB Custom Bass Works started out with Bartolini P4 Quad Coils, and a Bartolini NTMB 9V Active preamp…

A few months back, I got frustrated with the preamp, and had my guitar tech take it out and convert it to passive VVT with coil-taps for each pickup and a passive tone control (500k pots).

The P4’s sounded ok in humbucking mode, and better in coil tap mode, but the output was not to my liking…

So I ordered some Nordstrand Big Singles 6 string model from Brian Ristola of Best Bass Gear… Great guy! I put them in, and had high hopes for them, but wasn’t sure if I liked them or not… At this time, I had Ken Smith Stainless Steel Strings on… They sounded sort of muddy for some reason… Oh, I still have 500K vol/tone pots in… I was hoping for a jazz like tone from my bass, but it ended up woollier than I had hoped…

In the meantime, I ordered some Delano SBC 6 H/E pickups from Fearless Guitars out in Oregon… I’m still waiting for them… It’s been about 4 weeks… I hear they take a long time to make, and arrive from Germany…

Then, about a week ago, I decided to order some D’Addario Pro Steel strings… Please see my previous post about strings… The Nordstrands along with the Pro Steels seem to be a happy combination for now… Still not the output level that I would like, but they sound pretty good…

Then, this morning, I ordered a Barber Electronics Launch Pad Boost Pedal from Tone Factor… Should be here by the end of the week… I’ll hopefully have something to report back to you all…

That’s the story for now… I should really get back to playing bass instead of messing with all this tech stuff…

1 comment:

Luthierwantabe said...

Try 250 k pots they are what Cary recommends for the big singles, at least that's what Stew e-mailed me. Tim F